1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A Discussion on Weak Cold Callers & Whether or They Will Go With Themselves

Discussion in 'Sellbot HQ' started by AquariusGaming, Jul 1, 2017.

1. AquariusGaming
    Cool

AquariusGaming Gag Trainer

25%
    Do you guys think that there are some low laff, low gag cold callers that are willing to make their own boarding groups and go with themselves? Are any of you weak cold callers that enjoy just working with other weak cold callers? What I hope to achieve from this post is an interesting discussion about weak cold callers and whether or not they'll be willing to go with themselves and not beg the higher toons.

I make a video showing my results(as a weak cold caller myself):

What are your guys' general thoughts?

2. Secundus
    Busy

Secundus Elite Toon ATTA Supporter TTR Beta Tester

100%
    I'm pretty sure there's already been plenty of discussion on this topic so bottom line:

Low gag toons should not expect to beat the VP with other low toons, they should have the help of at least 2 maxed gag toons. Optimally they should not be doing the VP the first place. If your highest gag is a cream pie and you only have 3/4 gag tracks, that's a big no-no.

Low laff is FINE, I repeat low laff is FINE for the VP. As long as you have decent gags (maxed throw/squirt, high lure and sound) Because if the gameplay is executed flawlessly, no one should be taking serious damage.

Toons have to be able to pull their own weight regardless of gag or laff, this includes:
    1. Knowing the right strategies and combos (basic sound combos, lure left hit right, etc)
    2. Not screw up the skelecog round (arguably the most likely part of the VP where things go terribly wrong) that means thinking fast, taking directions from certain toons, etc. Us high toons will generally remember what sort of gags each person has, since we scan our boarding groups, so trust them :D
    3. The pie round! Equally as important! There have been high toons in the past who have proved to be utterly useless in the pie round (ig throwing the pie over the VP, hiding in the back, repeatedly pieing other toons when they don't need toonup etc)

Granted I can't judge a toon on these qualities just by looking at their gags and laff, but if you can't pull your own weight, don't expect others to pull a heroic sacrifice for you.

• Like Like x 4
  3. featherwolf
    Cloud_9

featherwolf Elite Toon
    ATTA Supporter TTR Beta Tester

100%
    Low toons think just because they defeated the factory and because they maybe slid into a group of 120+s that they can handle the VP. The question you should always ask yourself: could I handle level 12s on my own? You'll be facing a lot of high cogs, so if you don't have the right gags you're going to be useless in battle and likely go sad. But I have cream pie! But I have big magnet! No. You should have at least birthday cake, $5 bill, and trunk, though that depends on your gag choices. Fog is better, but it can be hard getting there at a lower level so it's excusable. These gags aren't hard to get to, so no one should complain about being told to get them.

But guess what? Even maxed gags are useless without proper strategy. If you're the one waking up that one cog while we're luring and healing, you need to leave. It's pretty easy to just sit back and watch what others are doing, and if you're ever unsure you could always just hit the same cog as another person, unless of course they specifically say not to. Toontown isn't hard, so people should be able to pick stuff up in no time.

Bottom line: laff and gags don't determine how you do in VP. Gags make things much easier, both in finding a group and in the actual battle, but it all comes down to how good you are at following others and making your own strategies that won't lead to your own downfall.

• Like Like x 4
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. That Soundless Horse
    No Mood

That Soundless Horse that pessimistic soundless horse TTR Beta Tester

100%
    With the right intelligence, it's possible to beat the vp as low toons, its been done before. However, they simply don't have said intel on combos to get it done, the ones I've seen make dumb moves that make themselves die, no greening necessary. Part of the problem is the factory well, one the factory needs to be buffed back to old TTO, two they need to change it back to if you die in a vp you lose a suit part, that may discourage lower toons from trying to vp

• Like Like x 6
  5. Loveless
    Chatty

Loveless Something in you lit up heaven in me KTTA ATTA Supporter TTR Beta Tester

100%
    If 8 people with your gags and your skill level couldn't beat the VP, don't enter.

• Like Like x 8
  6. HappyKat
    Curious

HappyKat Elite Toon ATTA Supporter TTR Beta Tester

100%
    Couldn't say it any better lol..

7. featherwolf
    Cloud_9

featherwolf Elite Toon

100%
    Just noticed I meant $10 bill :p excuse that

8. Multitasker

Multitasker Cog Crusher

85%
    If you wouldn't run with 8 of yourself, don't go.

Before you call me out over Tuless and Lureless, I'd consider not running 8 lureless acceptable but not running 8 tuless for fear of making too many errors... eh.

• Like Like x 3
  9. AquariusGaming
    Cool

25%
    I forgot to add this:
    What I mean by weak doesn't refer to the toons being cold callers. It refers to them having low laff and low gags in the eyes of most toons. Why I did the experiment was out of my curiosity. I'm not even a high toon as my strongest toon on rewritten is considered to be low(in laff and suit, but not gags). This is not intended to belittle anyone who is a cold caller or another low suit. This is not intended to belittle anyone who is a low toon.

10. Maxwell Trollbreath
    No Mood

Maxwell Trollbreath sly.exe TTR Beta Tester

100%
    No, N-O NO! Why I say this is because when you go in the VP lobby in the full district you'll always noticing cold callers swarming the hollys and other high suits saying "pls inv me pls inv me" this is because they KNOW yes they KNOW that they cannot win a vp with other weak cold callers or any suit below lets just say 2 face for example. So what they do instead of oh I don't know training their gags for an hour or 2 they figure "hey instead of actually making myself useful I can just mooch off of toons better than me, level up my suit, and get sos cards? BOOM! 3 things done at once yeah lets do that." So in conclusion no cold callers will not go with other weak cold callers even if they try, the other cold callers will just get scared because they know how dangerous the VP is at their current state and will continue to sadly try and mooch off of hollywoods. I've seen to many instances of this in all my years of playing toontown so sadly nothing can convince me otherwise. I know that's a narrow minded viewpoint but that's just how it is.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2017
    • Like Like x 3
  11. HappyLappy
    Cloud_9

HappyLappy Elite Toon TTR Beta Tester

100%
    Well, you've gotta start somewhere, right? Can't go into your first VP and be aMAAAAZING at it. Just doesn't make sense. I mean, I've been playing Toontown for a long time so I know most of the strategies. I just started TF2 though, so I barely know anything. But everyone starts off not knowing anything! That's life.

• Like Like x 1
  12. I like this. Low toons shouldn't be in the VP, but when they are, it's unreasonable to expect flawless gags and execution.

• Like Like x 1
  13. WonderfulUnknown
    Goofy

WonderfulUnknown Gag Trainer

60%
    For me I have nothing against low toons in the VP. Can't say for all the toons though. I remember 1 VP where the other side (during the skelecog round) heal each other except for the 40-50 something laffer (the rest of us we're 100+ laff). Of course he went sad and when he did, everyone went like "hooray" and "finally he's gone". Pretty nasty to know that there are some not very toony toons out there.

14. That Soundless Horse
    No Mood

100%
    Answer is still No, and will always be no. don't care if that's the "elitist thinking" go into a lobby full of 50 laff cold callers and you'll see for yourself, anyone who is a holly 8+ will get swarmed with invites and spam messages saying "you used to be one of us" (overused partially correct/incorrect statement, mostly incorrect)

15. Princess Wacky Dandywhip
    Tired

Princess Wacky Dandywhip New Toon TTR Beta Tester

40%
    This is an interesting subject. On one hand, blatantly ignoring Toons who just want to work on their suit is very rude, but at the same time, gags should be taken into account in some way. Now, I'm way more lenient than most people on gags it seems (you don't need to be maxed in everything to run with me); imo, strategy is waaaay more important than the gags you're carrying. Like someone said earlier on the thread, maxed gags without a good strategy are useless. There are many "weak" (I prefer "lower") Toons who do know what they're doing (ex. they have a higher Toon, etc) and can run with higher-laffed Toons and live. Now, should an entire group of 8 be made up of under 50-laff Toons with level 5 gags and under? No - they won't survive. But, assuming they know what they're doing, throwing a couple of 90-100+ Toons into the mix will have a much better outcome.

16. Aiyman
    Cynical

Aiyman Elite Toon TTR Beta Tester

100%
    They shouldn't be VPing in the first place, so it's really not rude to ignore them at all.
    Ngl, if you can't VP with 7 other copies of your Toon with the same Laff and Gags, and NOT rely on rewards, then you shouldn't be VPing.

17. Loveless
    Chatty

Loveless Something in you lit up heaven in me KTTA ATTA Supporter TTR Beta Tester

100%
    If they are experienced, they should know they're inferior to others and shouldn't be there.

• Like Like x 1
  18. That Soundless Horse
    No Mood

100%
    With intelligence of elitists, they can. But that's a rare occurrence
    Shouldn't need to balance out to survive a vp, however. Two level 6 gags, (Throw Squirt) rest level 4-5, is easy enough to complete a vp, not even counting cake and storm, having 7 cream pies and hoses vs 3 is a better alternative.

19. AquariusGaming
    Cool

25%
    The video can actually be viewed here

20. twinkleberry
    Bored

twinkleberry Elite Toon

100%
    Someone needs to find that one Frizzy Doggenpop video where he's just yelling in the VP lobby about low toons and boarding groups :tearsofjoy: