1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Constant Crashing?

Discussion in 'General Support Forum' started by Ms.Not a Cog, Jul 1, 2016.

1. Ms.Not a Cog
    Goofy

Ms.Not a Cog Elite Toon

100%
    I've been playing TTR for quite a while now, and I have NEVER found a fix for the problem I have. To put it simply...I won't stop crashing!

I can get through the launcher just fine, no problems there. I can play for a little bit without no problems whatsoever. But around 10 minutes in, the TTR engine is going to stop working, giving me a notice such as "The fabulous toontown rewritten engine has stopped working" or something along those lines.

The crashes ONLY occur when entering another area (ex: going through a tunnel, teleporting, going up elevators, etc.) and will only show up after I've entered multiple areas before then. I've crashed on buildings, the VP elevator, going through tunnels, and teleporting to my estate/a playground/another district. I'm constantly resetting my game before entering an important area to make sure I don't crash. I've tried redownloading the engine, placing it on compatibility mode, keeping it windowed for my entire playthrough...nothing! I use windows 7 for reference.

TLDR; I crash upon entering new areas ~10 minutes in and I've had this bug since the start. I use windows 7, have put it on compatibility mode and redownloaded the engine several times. Emailed ttr support and tried all their tips; constant crashing.

Is there a fix for this or am I gonna have to deal with it?

2. starmaster
    Amused

starmaster Cog Crusher ATTA Supporter

85%
    I have found that if you look in windows task manager and show all processes there is an svchost.exe using insane amounts of cpu and mem. Kill it. Windows will just restart it working correctly. (at least for a little while) Other option is malwarebytes and Ccleaner and scan for malware.

3. Ms.Not a Cog
    Goofy

Ms.Not a Cog Elite Toon

100%
    Quite sure I don't have malware. 99.9% sure. I guess a few extra scans for them won't hurt.
    THERE ARE SO MANY. Killed off the svchost.exe one using the most data and restarted my laptop, hopefully that does the trick. Working thus far, actually. Thanks buddy.

4. starmaster
    Amused

85%
    you don't need to restart if you kill it, it restarts itself. This is a bug in windows updates.

• Useful Useful x 1
  5. Minerhh
    Fine

Minerhh New Toon

I've had the same issue with my laptop.

6. starmaster
    Amused

85%
    And I bet task manager show processes from all users will find that SVCHOST.EXE using above 30% of the processor. Expect multiples. Expect some memory useage. But if you find one looking like it is trying to use everything on your compputer, just end it and life proceeds on until the next time it does it. It was caused by a bad update to windows update and I believe it is tied to netserv so it can look for new updates. Microsoft just likes to say either you have malware or it got corrupted. (btw, don't just start killing things at random. explorer.exe IS windows and if you kill that you get a blank screen till it restarts.)

7. Ms.Not a Cog
    Goofy

Ms.Not a Cog Elite Toon

100%
    Thanks guys, got my stuff all set out. I appreciate the help!

8. Kate
    Hot

Kate Forum Moderator Cast Member Forum Moderator KTTA TTR Beta Tester

100%
    I think this may have fixed my problem, too; I had noticed a lot CPU usage (staying around 100%), but since killing and letting that process restart, a lot less is occurring (50-60%). I kind of figured my CPU was affecting gameplay, but I wasn't sure how to fix it, so I literally tried everything else I could find. I'll try this out on TTR in a couple of hours, but even if it doesn't work, I'm glad I finally fixed the CPU issue. Thank you so much! Bookmarked!

EDIT: didn't fix my crashing problem, but at least my CPU usage isn't so high all the time

Last edited: Jul 2, 2016