1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Creepy technology...

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Lady Coconut, Apr 30, 2018.

1. Lady Coconut
    Goofy

Lady Coconut Elite Toon ATTA Supporter TTR Beta Tester

100%
    Have any of you ever experienced some really weird or creepy things happen between you and modern technology?? I am, personally, really starting to not care for the amount of technology that's beginning to intrude on our lives.

My best friend and I always go adult shopping together, this last time in particular at Wal-Mart. We shop and pay for our things separately, then she uses both of our receipts for her personal Wal-Mart savings app connected to her own Wal-Mart account. I have an account myself, but I only use it for online shopping which I only do while I'm using my work computer, and so I let her use my receipts on hers. Well today I logged onto my Wal-Mart account to do a bit of shopping for big stuff and, much to my surprise, the first thing I see is the site prompting me to "reorder" some things I've ordered in the past. Nothing too out of the ordinary with that, until I realize that all the items listed are the exact same items I purchased in the store on that last shopping trip. o_O

It should be noted that I do not have a Wal-Mart app on my phone, I have never logged in on my phone even while at work, nor have I ever actually purchased anything from the website that I normally purchase at the actual store (e.g. food items, candles, hygiene products, etc). Yet there they all are, my exact receipt, right there on the front page basically telling me, "Hey I was stalking you last week and figured maybe you might wanna reorder these things I'm not supposed to know you've purchased..." o_O

I won't lie, I'm already not a fan of how our Western society is trying to rely so heavily on modern technology (my job especially :mad:), but I mean, talk about creepy.........I've experienced my phone reading my mind (thinking about a product or a show or whatever and then it be the very next ad you see online) and things similar to that, but never quite to this extent, and to be perfectly honest I'm none too comfortable with it..... Just seems way too creepy in my opinion, like a horror flick from the future, hahaha.

But really my reason for posting this thread is to ask, has anyone else experienced something just outlandishly creepy like this???? Someone please explain this sorcery to me cause it's freaking me out!!!! :confused2:

Last edited: Apr 30, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
  2. FantariaTempesta
    Pensive

FantariaTempesta Forever Tumbling Down (x3) ATTA Supporter TTR Beta Tester

100%
    Some of the scariest things is when I look up a thing, and months later said thing comes back in ad form all over the social media sites I use. It freaks me out every time! I'll look up something like TY Beanie Babies and then subtly I'll find TY ads or "recommended groups" relating to TY and it scares me. Stop remembering my interests, technology, please.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Lady Coconut
    Goofy

100%
    Oh I've had that happen also! It's so creepy, technology needs to calm down a bit! :D
    It's kinda cool to think about that we can use technology that smart, but it's also super duper creepy to me! I am interested to see just how advanced it can become, I just hope it doesn't continue to get more and more intrusive, I like my privacy even if it's not completely necessary lol :rolleyes::p

• Like Like x 3
  4. louisvuitoon&sillydroopy
    No Mood

louisvuitoon&sillydroopy Cog Crusher TTR Beta Tester

35%
    Yeah, me too. I am actually searching on Google for Kitchen elements (oven, sink...) on various websites (Ikea...) and I don't have any account on those sites but I just received an email from one of them with the items I recently viewed on the website !
    I'm just wondering how did they get my email...

• Like Like x 2
  5. Lady Coconut
    Goofy

100%
    Whoa, that's a whole new level of creepy!!! I wonder how they did get it.......:confused2::eek:

• Like Like x 1
  6. louisvuitoon&sillydroopy
    No Mood

louisvuitoon&sillydroopy Cog Crusher TTR Beta Tester

35%
    Yeah that's pretty weird. I have an account registered with this email address on this website, but I'm not logged in. I used to be logged on gmail when I googled my searches, but I receive the email on my personal email, the one I used to sign in the home appliance website !

• Useful Useful x 1
  7. Lady Coconut
    Goofy

100%
    Omg....what if it's Google!?!?! How dare you Google, we trusted you!!!!!!!

• Funny Funny x 1