1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fishing Guide/Method

Discussion in 'Game Guides' started by Kitt Kitt Lou, Dec 19, 2013.

1. Kitt Kitt Lou
    Innocent

Kitt Kitt Lou Elite Toon

100%
    Fishing Method:

Recommendations:
    • DO NOT FISH until you buy the Gold Rod from the catelog.
    • (EDIT: SPECIAL THANKS TO SAPPHIRE BLIZZARD, It is OK to fish for jellybeans as long as you don't fish anywhere else other than Lullaby Lane until you get the Gold Rod to catch all possible Ultra Rares in that pond!)
    • You will have some fishing toontasks, only fish during those tasks, no other time.
    • Make sure that before you buy Gold Rod, you have less than 20 fish species or a little over that limit.
    • After you buy the Gold Rod, make sure you follow the steps below (Fish for 50-100 buckets daily)
    After you've followed the recommendations and bought the Gold Rod, here's what you do:

Fish in Lullaby Lane or DDL Playground (Switch every day) until you catch the following fish:
    • Devil Ray
    • Full Moon Fish
    • Concord PB&J Fish (If you couldn't catch it, move to Walrus Way)
    • All Star Fish (If you couldn't catch it, move to Walrus Way)
    • Holey Mackerel (If you couldn't catch it, move to Walrus Way)
    Fish in Walrus Way until you catch the following fish:
    • Grizzly Bear Acuda
    • Concord PB&J Fish (If you couldn't catch it, move to Alto Avenue)
    • All Star Fish (If you couldn't catch it, move to Alto Avenue)
    • Holey Mackerel (If you couldn't catch it, move to Alto Avenue)
    Fish in Alto Avenue until you catch the following fish:
    • Grand Piano Tuna
    Fish in Tenor Terrace until you catch the following fish:
    • Baby Grand Piano Tuna
    If you haven't caught Concord PB&J Fish yet, go back to DDL/Lullaby Lane until you catch it.

Once you have caught Concord PB&J Fish, move to your estate and catch the following fish:
    • Holey Mackerel
    • All Star Fish

You will now have all ultra rares, but what about the other fish? You'll be able to catch them easily. I recommend not fishing in Daisy Gardens and Donald's Dock until you've caught all of the fish listed above.

People currently following this Method in Toontown Rewritten:
    Sapphire Blizzard (The total fish in Day 7 is for all days, not just the day itself)

• Day 1: 640 total fish caught (29 species total now) in 1:30 hrs
    • Day 2: 2100 total fish caught (31 species total now) in 2:30 hrs ULTRA RARE CAUGHT: DEVIL RAY (as his 2013th fish)
    • Day 3: 3240 total fish caught (31 species total now) in 2:00 hrs ULTRA RARE CAUGHT: DEVIL RAY (as his 2164th fish)
    • Day 4: 4500 total fish caught (31 species total now) in 1:00 hr
    • Day 5: 5050 total fish caught (31 species total now) in 1:00 hr
    • Day 6: 5700 total fish caught (32 species total now - Circus Clown Fish in Alto Avenue) in 1:00 hr
    • Day 7: 6700 total fish caught (32 species total now) in 2:00 hrs
    • Day 8:

Last edited: Dec 28, 2013
    • Useful Useful x 13
    • Like Like x 2
  2. cherry
    Sweettooth

cherry Elite Toon

100%
    Thanks for this guide. Some questions though:

1) Any reason to wait for the golden rod? It's quite a while to wait (and I recall telling you that even in the original Toontown, there was the Golden Rod glitch where the catalogue NEVER offered it - doubt this will happen in TTR though but). Also consider that one cast takes 5 jellybeans, which will be fine for those with big JB jars but not so much for the little toons.

2) Waiting for the Gold Rod therefore probably means doing a lot of toontasks for the time being before hitting a decent JB jar capacity. My personal preference though is that I fish whenever I can, as it's the quickest way to earn beans.

3) This might also conflict with the intentions of the JB clan where we'd go play bingo every Wednesday. Obviously it's up to everyone what they do with their fishing and the clan members aren't obliged to join, but for me, I don't intend to wait for a Gold Rod to start playing Bingo nights.

4) An interesting argument - some say the Devil Ray is more likely to be caught with the Twig Rod, since there is a smaller range of possible fish to catch. Somehow I doubt this as the likelihood for catching fish will adjust to each rod, but would be interested to hear what you say about it.

5) Is there also a reason for the less than 20 species before buying Gold Rod rule?

6) Can this guide still be applied for those that may have rushed to fishing immediately upon TTR's opening, and those who have upgraded rods before coming across this guide? Obviously at the moment this is impossible since we're only in the Alpha stages, but it wouldn't surprise me that in the future, people may not come across this guide until later.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Enter
    Tired

Enter Moderation Manager
    Cast Member Moderation Manager ATTA Supporter TTR Beta Tester

100%
    Thanks for a fishing guide, I will use this to catch all 70 fish species :)

Last edited: Feb 18, 2015
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Kitt Kitt Lou
    Innocent

Kitt Kitt Lou Elite Toon

100%
    To get the Gold Rod, you MUST buy all of the others in order first. Yes, it is quite a while, and it always will be. The method I use is a shortcut to fishing as no one can max fishing unless they have the Gold Rod. According to my calculations, my method is quicker than keeping all of the Ultra Rare fish for last. I have followed Matt Wild Horse's fishing guide on my first toon, who maxed fishing after 5 years of trying to get my final species: Grand Piano Tuna. It took me 5 years just to catch that fish.
    This guide is NOT a "MUST follow", as it is my own personal preference too. Even though it's the quickest way to earn jellybeans, I still wouldn't fish if I wanted to max fishing quickly.
    Unfortunately, yes it will conflict with the intentions of your JB clan, I apologize for that. I'm going to talk to one of TTR's Developers to make a new rod available every week, so we could buy Gold Rods quicker. I'm not sure if they will accept that to. Other than that, it doesn't matter to me whether people will follow this guide or not. I actually find people less likely to follow any guide I write.
    It is more likely to be caught by Twig Rod in these areas: Barnacle Boulevard, Oak Street, and DDL Playground
    It is MOST likely to be caught by Gold Rod in these areas: Barnacle Boulevard, DDock and DDL Playgrounds, Lullaby Lane
    However, I do NOT recommend toons to fish in these areas: DDock's Playground and Streets, DG's Playgrounds and Streets

The reason is: Most of the easy fish are caught in those areas. Some of those fish are: Sea Horses, King Crabs, Siamese Cat Fish, etc.

I don't recommend toons to fish for the easy ones first as it's best to keep them for last. The reason for this statement is answered in your next question:

Due to statistics, the higher the amount of fish species you've caught, the lower the chances are of catching the next fish. So it's best to catch all ultra rares before reaching 60-63 species. Again, I recommend that you don't fish in Daisy Gardens and Donald's Dock.
    It cannot be applied, due to having caught more fish species, the ultra rares take much more time than due to statistics.
    If that's the case, they would have to apply Matt Wild Horse's Guide.

• Like Like x 3
  5. cherry
    Sweettooth

cherry Elite Toon

100%
    Ahh don't worry about it, we all play TT differently and that's why lots of guides like these exist! And of course I don't mean to slander this guide in any way at all and I appreciate your methods being shared. It's just that I really want to try this method out since I do believe it's the quickest way to earn all species, but the conflicting intentions would mean doing one thing or another. I wouldn't mind waiting a while for the rods but given that the gold rod would need several weeks to be waited for, although the overall time to catch fish may be around 8 days, there are still a few months to wait before getting the Gold Rod.

Also I'm aware you needed to buy other rods before getting Gold. The glitch was that even when you had the preceding rod to Gold (I think it was Silver? I don't remember the names exactly but it was definitely the last rod before Gold) it would never appear in the catalogue. Hmm...well I did some research and maybe 'never' is an exaggeration, but I recall spending my days waiting for it to appear and it never came. Here's a discussion about it: Fishing Rod Problems

Anyway, your observations are very interesting. I had always assumed that the probability of catching a fish remained constant as long as the rod was the same. That's a very cruel mechanism Disney put in there for fishing!!

• Like Like x 2
  6. ElizaKay92
    Amused

ElizaKay92 Hall of Fame Hall of Fame TTR Beta Tester

100%
    Thanks for posting this. I need all the help I can when it comes to fishing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 3
  7. Ivy
    Artistic

Ivy Elite Toon

100%
    Really fishing is just about luck. I really hope they make it easier to catch certain rarer fish. I don't want to spend months trying to max again ; - ;

• Like Like x 2
  8. Tattooed Heart
    Goofy

Tattooed Heart Cog Crusher

10%
    Thanks, hopefully I'll have more luck now fishing

• Like Like x 3
  9. Kitt Kitt Lou
    Innocent

Kitt Kitt Lou Elite Toon

100%
    It's not luck, for every fish you need to catch an (x) amount of fish. And for the next species you need to catch (x) amount of fish also.
    For example, let's say you have 68 species and need to catch Full Moon Fish and Grand Piano Tuna. Let's say you just caught your Full Moon Fish. Now you're going to fish for Grand Piano Tuna. As an EXAMPLE, to catch your 70th species you need to catch a total of (5000 [example number]) and catch (8000 [example number]) before the Grand Piano Tuna appears in your pond. That's like a total of 13000 fish species.

Now, what I know is that fishing is bases on statistics and not luck. For the very common fish species, you need to catch less fish before getting them, or maybe even no fish. For the ultra rares, you need to have caught a BIG AMOUNT of fish before they appear in the ponds.

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
  10. cherry
    Sweettooth

cherry Elite Toon

100%
    I suppose technically there is still a luck factor put into it considering how you said you want to catch ultra rares first before getting the common ones - so you'd have to be lucky to have never caught commons before ultras!

So if I'm getting this correct, the less species you have caught, the higher the chances of you catching an ultra.
    But the more species you've caught, the more species you'll need to re-catch before hitting an ultra?

It's such a strange mechanism Disney put there. Very evil how they bait (ha ha pun intended) people into fishing ASAP with each rod in succession, giving people the impression that's the faster way to fish, when according to your guide it will in fact only delay their progress.

Also not sure if you've noticed but in light of this guide, I've modified the JB clan slightly so that we can delay the start of the Bingo night events. Hopefully this means that we'll still find ways to earn jellybeans fast from an early stage without relying on fishing either.

• Like Like x 3
  11. Alyazia

Alyazia Cog Crusher

60%
    My friend told me that fish Bingo is everday in TTR as of now.

• Like Like x 3
  12. cherry
    Sweettooth

cherry Elite Toon

100%
    Probably due to it still being in Alpha - I think Trolley tracks are everyday right now as well? Everyone also has a 250 bean capacity and gold rod which also seems to be for testing purposes. You know, I'd be interested if someone in Alpha could put this guide to test right now and tell us the results (assuming Alpha has put in every species of fish where they belong and has the exact same statistical calculations as Toontown). Anyone in Alpha willing to test this out?!

• Like Like x 2
  13. Ivy
    Artistic

Ivy Elite Toon

100%
    While yes there is no luck technically speaking, just because it is a game and it is programmed, but in a sense there is luck. Even if the game is programmed, it is different for every person. So while some people may catch some fish very quickly or easily others could spend weeks on end with nothing to show for.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Alyazia

Alyazia Cog Crusher

60%
    He's saying that the number of fish needed before a fish species is caught is the same for everyone, what's different is the fish you catch, but the amount needed is always the same.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Ivy
    Artistic

Ivy Elite Toon

100%
    Oh I see but I have had friends that have finished way before I have when they did it for less time than I did.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Alyazia

Alyazia Cog Crusher

60%
    It doesn't depend on time. It depends on what you caught first and how many fish you've caught. ^^

• Like Like x 2
  17. Ivy
    Artistic

Ivy Elite Toon

100%
    So there is luck involved? Either way some people have better chances then others.

• Like Like x 2
  18. cherry
    Sweettooth

cherry Elite Toon

100%
    I think what Lou and Alyazia are trying to say is: Although yes, technically every part of Toontown and life have a degree of luck involved, the technical computer calculations on fishing are based on number of previous fish caught, rather than probability. So if this is indeed true, it seems that whenever you cast that rod of yours, the game bases your catch on what you have previous caught - it is not something like a dice roll where the fish you catch is purely random.

Obviously yes, everyone will have played it different as no two people will have fished the same way. I'm not sure if there is still some probability based calculation during the first ever time you catch fish and want to fish out ultras first like in this guide, or if it's possible that out of sheer bad luck, even with the Gold Rod and following this guide completely, you may end up catching 30 common species. Lou will have to confirm that for us later on. But anyway, I think that's what they mean and hope it's a bit clearer!

• Like Like x 1
  19. Kitt Kitt Lou
    Innocent

Kitt Kitt Lou Elite Toon

100%
    Every time I tried this method, I never got over 47 species when I caught all ultras in Lullaby Lane. I once had it still at 39 (on the last toon I maxed fishing) after catching all possible Ultras in Lullaby Lane (yes, I consider this major luck), but after fishing in Walrus Way and Alto Avenue, I ended up with the exact SAME amount of species for 4 of my toons: 61 species, and that's when I've had all ultras, and all of the fish species I caught were the exact same ones. I then fished my last 9 species in one day. (On my last toon, I was lucky to have caught all Ultras at 57 species, I caught all 13 on the last day, which didn't make much of a difference, just in numbers). If I actually had an Alpha Key right now, I would test this method again and see what the results would be.

• Like Like x 3
  20. Funnyslam
    Energetic

Funnyslam Cog Crusher

10%
    I completely agree with this method, except from the fact that we cant fish until we have the golden rods.
    I used fishing as a way of getting fast JB's, so this would be a problem for me.. Does it really matter?

• Like Like x 2