1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Suggestion New Logical Chat Features and Policy

Discussion in 'Main Forum' started by Beeee, Jan 8, 2018.

1. Beeee

Beeee New Toon ATTA Supporter

40%
    With the way TTR is currently setup I don't feel as if it accommodates to all its audiences.
    These are my ideas for TTR to be all inclusive and provide chat options for every age.
    I also feel the chat window in general is stone-age and could be vastly improved.

• Add Parental Control option to accounts with a password/passcode. Parents can setup this password for their kid who plays ToonTown Rewritten and only the person with said password or passcode can change the chat settings.
    • Changes to the current chat system:

1. The whitelist only turns unwhitelisted words into toon sounds if the persons account is configured to have Speedchat or Speedchat+. This change is in tandem with my next suggestion..

2. New chat option Free Chat. Free and open chat for ATTA and for original fans of Toontown who are no longer young. Those who wish to retain the protection of Speedchat+ and Speedchat can still do so and will have it all censored client sided with the whitelist via enabling it in their Account. This removes the feeling of suppression and constraint on older ToonTown Rewritten players but also accomodates the younger playerbase and keeps it from exposing them to toxic behavior or conversations.
      We've all heard that one person before. "I'm so tired of the chat in this game being so restrictive. Wish I could just say what I need to" "Look at me evading chat filter". Then sometimes these types of players evade chat and lead to punishment. I have a feeling they wouldn't have such a strong desire to evade chat and be toxic if they could say what they needed to say. They would feel less rebellious. Players would be happier, children would still be safe assuming their parents stay on-top of their chat settings, and staff would be less spread thin.

• Redesign the chat window to hold messages received while tabbed out longer? Take a peek at other chats in MMOs or online games for inspiration. The current chat GUI is annoying because if you aren't there when your friend messages you the moment they say it you will miss it

• Message length limit is often times too small

• With the new chat window you could also add text commands which when written in chat do emotes, for example: ./dance would make your toon dance if you had the emote or ./clap would do Applause etc

• Retain the same policies about bullying or harassment.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
    • Disagree x 3
    • Like x 1
    • Useful x 1
    • Optimistic x 1
    • Creative x 1
  2. Adorkable Mousie
    Innocent

Adorkable Mousie Cute Adorkable Toon :D ATTA Supporter TTR Beta Tester

100%
    I agree that the chat window could be redesigned to be similar to other mmos to hold messages, and at least one other server I know of has already done this. I don't agree with allowing swear words and such since this is still a family game, and everyone would still act the same with or without the filter. There's other chat programs that can be used with friends to circumvent the need to swear in the game itself, so others who don't want to see it don't need to see it, and it's just honestly better to chat with such programs.

• Like Like x 2
  3. FantariaTempesta
    Tired

FantariaTempesta A Bad Influence ATTA Supporter TTR Beta Tester

100%
    A solution: make an adults only server. I have a potty mouth and boi my game experience would be so much funnier and more fun if I could swear in-game. No babs allowed.

I'd pay to get into the A-O server if there was one. I'm 19, I can handle big boi conversations. Hide the adults only server behind a paywall so no babs can get in.

4. Beeee

40%
    At the very least re-instate True Friends since true friends don't need to be moderated as they are two individuals who are comfortable to say anything to each other and no one else sees.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Catcat
    Gloomy

Catcat is a good boy TTR Beta Tester

100%
    Paywall would get the game taken down, but I get your point.

If there were an adults-only server, kids would still find a way in, so no babs allowed(except the pro hackers).

6. Detrevni
    Fine

Detrevni Elite Toon ATTA Supporter TTR Beta Tester

100%
    This entire game is still in the stone age I'm surprised it's still here. I think these changes would be great, not because adults could use adult language, but because we could use abbreviations, company names, etc. Provided that there is still that safety option to protect children. I don't see any reason why this game should stay the same for the next decade.

• Like Like x 1
  7. FantariaTempesta
    Tired

100%
    Disney doesn't have to know ;). After all, they no longer hold copyright I think so, I think it'd be okay. Or at least have a very intricate way of getting into the AO server, so no babs can ruin the fun.

8. Beeee

40%
    If we can say what we want and people who don't want to see such talk can have the account option to filter it out then I fail to see the issue. Shouldn't it be about accommodating everyone instead of accommodating just children? Because the adults of Toontown are kind of being neglected here. Especially when its 80% of your playerbase considering when this game is from. Who do you think is your main following? By having chat with a whitelist and no other options for people who want something different, you are essentially prioritizing a portion of the community that is in fact the minority of it. Besides us asking for this isn't us asking for us to be able to say every cuss word ever its us asking for a free chat setting so we can communicate easier if we make a typo, mispell something, have to rapid fire type something before the battle timer ends and we might not type it right, abbreviations, topics that you staff might not be comfortable with talking about which we might like religion which all religion related words are basically blocked.

The whole point of censoring chat is to protect your child friendly image but isn't the game still child friendly if you offer both options in account settings? Original Toontown at the VERY LEAST even had True Friends. You don't have to put extra man power into moderating True Friends since True Friends who are of age can say whatever they want to each other without "harassing" or "offending" each other and most times isnt even in the public eye.

The whole logic that the games chat settings and system should stay the same just because its "been this way the whole time also because children" is no longer valid.
    You have the power to provide both a safe and clean chat and a free chat that adults can use to play the game easier while still protecting everyone with minimal work involved and I fail to see why you don't do this when 90% of your players are over the age of 16. Who would this be hurting?

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
    • Like Like x 3
  9. MoonLightRiver
    Sleepy

MoonLightRiver Elite Toon
    TTR Beta Tester

100%
    This sounds like the chat system on Wizard101; people still get around the chat filter regardless.

We should just have True Friends back

• Like Like x 5
  10. Beeee

40%
    True statements:
    • 80% of the player base is over the age of 16
    • 99% of children who play this game who are too young to be exposed to "harmful conversations" are playing this with their parents supervision, which is why having free chat would be fine since people with "Speedchat+ or Speedchat" would still see animal sounds for the whitelist whereas free chat people wouldnt. Hence the Parental Control code suggestion I mentioned
    • True Friends and Free Chat would not cause bigger stress on moderation team considering people already evade filter and harass people if they are that type of person, and since True Friends would never report each other for their conversations considering they are TRUE FRIENDS by the literal meaning of the feature.
    • You can have a SUPER WHITELIST which applies to even Free Chat which blocks super offensive words such as racism, etc.
    False Statements:
    • Free Chat causes more moderation than Speedchat+
    • You can't have Free Chat and still maintain a child friendly image (80% of your players are not children, this game was released in 2006)
    • Not having True Friends and Free Chat in the game makes the game better
    • There is no room for improvement

11. Miniapollo17
    Inspired

Miniapollo17 Social Media Team Cast Member Social Media Mini Mod

100%
    First 90% of players are over 16, now 80%? :confused2: Regardless of how many are children, this game is still a family-friendly game, and it is ridiculously easy to have a lax chat filter and get in trouble (whether from suing or just negative media attention)

Take a game called habbo hotel, for example. I used to play it when I was younger and to summarize the news story without making the post too inappropriate, a news team found out there were some bad people on there utilizing the chat system for teenage girls to send them pictures.

They lost a $12 million deal because of the scandal and the European commission threatened to shut them down, but they disabled chat to revamp the system and it seemed to satisfy them because they're still up today :p (I'd link the article, but again it's not completely appropriate for the forums)

My point is that im not disagreeing with the overall suggestion, (I have no opinion on it really) but just explaining they could have PR decisions for what they do, especially with the way children could hear of a revival of this game and their parents are like "oh that was Disney's cartoon mmo!" And let them try it out. So long as they advertise themselves as family-friendly, problems could occur that they don't want to be part of.

Evading filters and harassing others are against the rules, though, so I wouldn't see "this already happens" as a good reason for making it okay to do those type of things. That would destroy their image to people trying it out for the first time imo.

Plus, I actually do think it'd be an even bigger strain on moderation, because they have to have two different ways to moderate based on which type of chat you have if you violate certain rules.

Now while I'm opinion-less on free chat and nearly typed an essay for that, the parental code thing is a neat idea to allow speedchat+(based heavily on how they implement it ),along with the revamping of the messages because I tend to get whispers while I'm loading ;-;
    --- Double Post Merged, Jan 10, 2018, Original Post Date: Jan 10, 2018 ---
    I think they can still shut down ttr in the blink of an eye, and one of the reasons they let it open in the first place is because no money would be coming in from it :p

• Like Like x 3
  12. Beeee

40%
    Do you actually think that they could get sued? Do you actually think TTR would get negative media attention from being like every other MMO? Do you actually think the majority of the player base isn't people over 16? Do you not remember this game was released back in like 2006 or 2007 maybe even earlier. Most players were between the ages of 7 to 13 back then. Do the math. Them getting in any trouble for being just like every other MMO as far as chat policy is EXTREMELY unlikely.

Personally I think a game should be tailored to its audience but thats just me. Just because the game is cartoonish does not mean children are the ones playing it. There are children who do play it, and could easily be shielded and protected from everyone else via account settings. Theres very little reason not to change the way things are.

• Like Like x 1
  13. FantariaTempesta
    Tired

100%
    TTO came out in 2003. So the main player base is even older.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Miniapollo17
    Inspired

100%
    Yes, anything and anyone could get sued, no matter how ridiculous it seems. The MMOs I play have chat restrictions too, so I'm not sure why you think ttr is different just for having a tighter one.

We don't have any actual statistics, so I'd prefer not to assume everyone is an adult playing.

They could get in trouble for associating with a kid-friendly game though. Why would they take a formerly-family-friendly game and then make it for adults? That would be a whole confusion that would cause a bad reputation. I could even see how someone could make an argument about how Disney would step in if that happened, because they could always get associated with it by mistake considering it was one of their old games, but I won't make that.

I just don't believe the audience is that heavily sided towards adults. Heck there are plenty of users on here that are under 16 as well, and we can't say one or the other without ttr releasing any player information.
    --- Double Post Merged, Jan 10, 2018, Original Post Date: Jan 10, 2018 ---
    It also shut down in 2013. What about the younger kids who played it that recently? That's only a few years later, and considering this game appealed to me as like an 8 year old, that could put some potential nostalgics at 13 based on when they were born.

• Like Like x 2
  15. FantariaTempesta
    Tired

100%
    I know, I was just pointing out that it came out in 2003. :)

16. Miniapollo17
    Inspired

100%
    I was more just referring to the "main base is older" thing but idk if I misunderstood that or not :p

I'd like to reiterate that I don't have a problem with the idea in itself being implemented, but I just don't see how anyone can say it's more than 3/4 adults/upper teens playing this when there's not too big of a gap in time between the shutdown of tto and startup of ttr. But this whole issue on both sides is just a bunch of assumptions and guesswork, so I'm probably done posting about it anyways unless I have to clarify something since there isn't really anything I can add to it

• Like Like x 1
  17. Beeee

40%
    We can for the most part confirm that 80% of people playing this game are over the age of 16 thats why.

This game came out in 2003. This game is not advertised on TV or on Youtube or anywhere else directly to a younger audience. So that means that the ORIGINAL player base is the players who are playing now and the only children playing are:
    • The literal children of original players
    • New younger siblings of older siblings who are adults who originally played it

So I was suggesting since MOST of your players are adults and a small minority are children, that they allow free chat and true friends, and then as a SECONDARY option allow children and their parents to configure their TTR account to censor as they please on their screens (since children are the smaller part of TTR's population, OBVIOUSLY)

Do you honestly think adults want to struggle to be able to type half of the things they need to say to their friends during normal conversations and especially during battle? We put up with it because we love this game and thats how it is, but that doesn't mean it has to be that way.

We all understand the need to protect people from toxicity and malicious/vulgar chat experiences but my whole point is you can very easily provide that protection as well as not limit people who don't want protection enabled.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Beeee

40%
    For those disliking the idea please provide why just to further this discussion.

19. FantariaTempesta
    Tired

100%
    I'm all for this idea. Given this game will die out in probably 5 years, why not provide some sort of free chat for adult players? The only way I can see people not supporting this idea is because either "protect the children!!111!!!" or "muh nostalgia, ur ruining my childhood!!1!".

Pro Tip: You can still protect the children, and have adult chat at the same time. Be it via True Friends, or Parental Account Settings.

Besides, in the worst Districts (the Toon Valley/Nutty River ones) people still do evade the chat filter with caps lock. Where's the children being 'protected' from those 'nasty trolls'?
    I had the idea of hiding the adult stuff via paywall because that's how most adult things work. On the off chance Disney still cares about TT (lol) then yeah sure, bad idea. Or yknow... they could bring TF back and everyone will be happy. I don't see what the big hubub is over this. As Pink Floyd has once stated: The Child has grown, the dream is gone. 5 years from now when TTR has turned into another dead virtual plaza of what once was, there'll be no need to protect anyone.

Okay, that last part is dramatic, lol. But for the time being, I think there should be more chat freedoms, given there are a lot of adults that play this.

• Like Like x 1
  20. BarkBark
    Breezy

BarkBark Cog Crusher

10%
    oh disney would absolutely sue/get ttr shut down at the drop of a hat. disney is extremely protective of their intellectual property. as a school teacher, i had to take a law class and there's an entire chapter in the textbook talking about not using disney's characters in your classrooms. there was a daycare that had a mural of the disney characters on their playground wall and they had it painted without disney's consent, and disney sued them. we'd love to think it's a very agreeable company but it absolutely is not

regarding the chat system, the only changes i'd make to it would be some sort of "clan chat" where you can see all your messages. i understand being annoyed that the dictionary is favored for children. but children are attracted to this game, and as one user said earlier, the game shut down in 2013 so there are still kids under the age of 18 lingering about. personally i think it would be ignorant to think that since we as adults are drawn to this nostalgic game, we should be able to change the dynamics of it to better suit us. if it became known that this was a game that was attractive to children, available to adults, and doesn't have a chat filter, dangerous things could happen.

• Like Like x 4