1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Suggestion New Logical Chat Features and Policy

Discussion in 'Main Forum' started by Beeee, Jan 8, 2018.

1. Adorkable Mousie
    Innocent

Adorkable Mousie Cute Adorkable Toon :D TTR Beta Tester

100%
    We need to remember who helped brought out this game in the first place, and it is Disney. They try to maintain a family image throughout the industry with their cartoons, and this is still heavily associated with them since it was not long ago they had big news outlets covering Toontown Rewritten with Disney being mentioned throughout it, so most of the public that has some knowledge of this game's existence still would associate this game with Disney. If the server started to turn into a brothel with the free chat, Disney will know about it since it is big enough of a server to garner attention from them, and will step in to do something about it, which probably will mean shut down of the server. It's honestly more of being safe than sorry thing to keep the game's filters and such as close to the original as possible, so that the server can continue to exist, which is amazing in all honesty Disney is allowing the game to run as long as it has, while others would send C&D letters the instant they hear about it.

As I said before, those who are old enough have the choice to use other means besides the game itself to have open communication where they can say whatever they want to their friends. I just honestly don't see the reason why you feel so oppressed with the chat system when you got plenty of other options available to you. There's plenty of other games out there if you want to be an adult and do whatever you want. This child friendly game where you're a bipedal animal fighting corporate robots doesn't need any of that in all honesty. Toontown is honestly an escape from the adult world for me where I can feel like a child and just have fun. If you REALLY want to talk like a sailor in Toontown and be an adult, there's options out there to fill that need.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. FantariaTempesta
    Pensive

FantariaTempesta Forever Tumbling Down (x3) ATTA Supporter TTR Beta Tester

100%
    Dangerous things already happen. People are now finding ways around the chat filter. Reporting them does nothing, lol. Bringing back TF would clean up so much trash in TTRs community.

• Like Like x 1
  3. That Soundless Horse
    No Mood

That Soundless Horse that pessimistic soundless horse TTR Beta Tester

100%
    I'd agree with you if things like skype didn't exist. It's easy to get in a chat in any of those 3 and have no filter whatsoever.

and no, even if somehow a non-filtered chat got accepted, it can't be thru a paywall. Disney still has the rights to toontown. and something tells me making money off an illegal server doesn't rest well in the eyes of Disney.

The most common middle-ground here tbh is True Friends, which is a fair compromise.

Last edited by a Resistance Ranger: Jan 13, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Beeee

Beeee Gag Trainer ATTA Supporter

60%
    We shouldnt have to tab out of game to things like Skype to be able to say basic things we need to say. Furthermore anyone who thinks Toontown Rewritten is under some secret unspoken rules like not being allowed to do this and that because of "Disney" are strongly mistaken. Toontown the game and Toontown the theme park are very very different. Disney is a massive company and would never bother to go after something unless they were losing money from it or if money was being made from it in their image or name.

So that doesn't even make any sense. TTR would be more in trouble introducing pay models then they would be unrestricting chat.

People are saying "those who are old enough have the choice to use Skype and etc" but why should we be burdened with that when we are the main audience? You have it totally backwards. The younger audience and their parents should be burdened with enabling parental controls, speedchat+ filter, and speedchat in their own accounts to avoid seeing what people say which 9 times out of 10 might not even be harmful but instead just misspelled.

Instead it should be "those who are too young to be exposed to basic adult conversation have the option to enable family friendly whitelist censoring Speedchat+ in their accounts, as well as parental controls to have parents control said features when playing the game with their children"

Even True Friends would be a improvement to what we have now.

"Our main portion of our playerbase wants to reliably communicate? Better download Skype or some third party program that you gotta tab out for because we have 20-25 children who play this game and because people USED TO BE children literally 10 to 12 years ago, oh and cartoons. Cartoons are meant for only kids which means this is DEFINITELY a kids game in its current state despite hundreds of people evading chat out of defiance because they feel they cant say anything or do anything XDDD"

(Even though having True Friends or Freechat doesnt effect young people or parents who enable defensive account chat settings, so really theres no arguement)

Prioritizing the minority audience over the main one instead of including options for everyone other then downloading third party programs is just simply inconsiderate.

Last edited by a Resistance Ranger: Jan 13, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  5. BarkBark
    Breezy

BarkBark Cog Crusher

85%
    yes, toontown the game and toontown the themepark are different, but the game still holds disney's intellectual property. Mickey, Minnie, Donald, Goofy, Daisy, and Chip n' Dale are all in the game. if i were Disney's very expensive corporate lawyer, i'd even argue that the transportation holes the toons use to get from place to place are property of Robert Zemeckis, because they appear in Who Framed Roger Rabbit. as i previously posted, disney is very very protective of their stuff. their being a large company just enhances that. look at it through their eyes: 40 year old mom Janet finds out her daughter is playing a multiplayer Mickey Mouse game where you can talk to absolute strangers without any chat filter. that would be ***very bad*** for disney. if something like this were happening with like, club penguin, i think your argument would be valid because as far as i know none of disney's prominent characters are featured in the game.

and i don't think we can use the argument that TTR is small - i wouldn't be surprised if they expanded now that they are out of beta. even so, for the past couple of years they have been attending OMGCon. like Adorkable stated above, it's a big enough server that 1) if disney took notice it would be bad and 2) if child predators took notice it would be bad.

i also agree that there are already dangerous conversations going on in some servers, but if we're going to admit it's bad already then why would we want to loosen it even more? "dictionary dancing" is, has, and always will be a thing, not just on toontown but on all MMORPGs. but getting rid of all the restrictions is like saying, "my dog will pull on the leash anyway, so i'm just going to start taking him on walks without one"

even games like Runescape and World of Warcraft have chat filters. another thing is if players are allowed to be profane, some trolls will take advantage of it. you know those players who spam "meow meow meow meow meow meow meow" over and over again? think of that but with the F word, because comedy. can you imagine getting stuck in a VP with a group of people like that? that said, why do you want a more lax chat system? is it for recreational chat or for battles? because if it is just for recreational chat why not just tab into skype and talk there instead of in-game?

as stated earlier, true friends is the best middle ground. i understand not wanting to tab out into skype but i've done it before and i didn't think it was a huge inconvenience.

• Like Like x 4
  6. Beeee

60%
    Lets pretend that Toontown Rewritten was on Disney's scope. Why on earth would Disney decide to go after TTR for re-adding a feature that was already in original Toontown?
    If anything they will try and go after TTR for pay models but thats assuming Disney even cares.

• Like Like x 1
  7. BarkBark
    Breezy

BarkBark Cog Crusher

85%
    i don't think they'd go after TTR for putting True Friends back. but if we're talking about being able to say anything to anyone without being True Friends, that would be a problem.

the reason they would go after TTR if something like this were to happen is that in order for intellectual property to still have value, copyright laws have to be enforced. turning a blind eye to this kind of thing would be akin to letting anyone use mickey mouse and friends for any purpose. disney's okay with TTR because it's just a continuation of something they already made, but with no money coming in.

i don't think there would be any problem adding in true friends. i just don't know if that's on the devs radar - with mac issues and whatnot. it may be coming up, though!

8. Adorkable Mousie
    Innocent

Adorkable Mousie Cute Adorkable Toon :D TTR Beta Tester

100%
    I think most of us agree they should add back true friends, but TTR sees it as something else to moderate for some reason, which is honestly silly since adding someone there you likely wouldn't get offended by what they say anyways, and even if you did get offended you could just always take them off if it's going to add an extra workload to moderation, which it really shouldn't tbh.

• Like Like x 3
  9. BarkBark
    Breezy

BarkBark Cog Crusher

85%
    i fully agree.

10. Beeee

60%
    Copyright laws are already being broken by this existing to begin with. Allowing FreeChat ingame with the option for younger players and parents to control what they see ingame with a parental controls/whitelist enabled/ speedchat+ type of setting would protect those players.
    Having this ingame would not increase TTR's likelihood for getting sued or shutdown. 90% of Disney's recognizable character NPCs ingame have been removed anyway to reduce the risk of shutdown. The only thing Disney cares about is if you are making money off of their creations or likenesses.

They would not go after TTR for loosening up on their chat policy, they would go after TTR for introducing pay models. Remember Disney is a corporation and they only care about when their work is being used for money without their permission or a license to do so.

Also heres my thought on it. If Free Chat is ingame, and people still had the options in account to protect themselves, then they would have less to moderate since half of the stuff people said evading chat would then be either allowed or laughed at amoung friends and then the only real things they'd have to moderate for would be actual harassment or racism, and then of course your other things like hacking, glitching, and greening etc.

So loosening up on the chat and allowing Free Chat while still providing security options for younger players and parents could actually end up lessening the moderators work load

11. BarkBark
    Breezy

BarkBark Cog Crusher

85%
    i agree that the moderators could use less work load. however, i still disagree with you in that disney wouldn't care if this was no longer a family friendly game. i don't know why you are saying disney's recognizable characters have been removed - you can see mickey's face in the maze game, minnie in Match Minnie, etc. if something were to happen like what happened with Habbo Hotel, disney would be affiliated and it would be bad for them. that stuff doesn't just go over their heads - they are very cognizant of keeping their brand free from bad press.

right now, copyright laws aren't being broken because disney knows we are using the game and that's okay. however, if we started to misuse the game, they could shut it down in order to cut off affiliation.

again, this is good for discussion, but i don't know if true friends is even on the dev's radar. it's possible, because as far as i know that's the only thing missing from the original game that we don't have back. and in the mean time, just remember it's not just toontown that has chat filters. every MMORPG i've played has them. that includes World of Warcraft, which i assume has a majority adult fan base.

12. JokundaSerene22

JokundaSerene22 Elite Toon

100%
    Yeah TF needs to be back and when you're in SpeedChat Only districts you should be allowed to hit some button to message your friends. I agree that it doesn't need to be moderated, people should know that if they're their TF, then they chose to talk to them. I'm open for change I had used to go on a lot years ago, but there is always room for improvement. Now, I kinda just don't play as much anymore.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Beeee

60%
    How is it not a family friendly game with Free Chat suggestion implemented? I already suggested it and its easy. Make all people who use Free Chat show up as eepr meow woof to players who have parental controls on, or speedchat+ instead of Free Chat, have their game refrence the whitelist. I ensured to not leave out family friendly in the literal suggestion.

14. Detrevni
    Fine

Detrevni Elite Toon ATTA Supporter TTR Beta Tester

100%
    Disney doesn't care about anything but money. Toontown closing was blatant proof.

• Like Like x 1
  15. BarkBark
    Breezy

BarkBark Cog Crusher

85%
    i must have misinterpreted your posts. i thought you were saying that the game should be catered more towards the adult players by getting rid of chat filters. this is an interesting concept because when TTO was around, i was never a member, so everyone who could use SpeedChat just showed up as the animal noises for me. I could only see speedchat+. so i think this is feasible, but i still think there should be chat filters.

16. Beeee

60%

My original suggestion was allow players to opt into Free Chat which is unrestricted chat. Allow younger players to opt into a censored chat where Free Chat shows as animal sounds for any non whitelisted phrases used in Free Chat, and then Speedchat original style, as well as a parental controls where a parent can go in and set a security code to keep their children from going in and changing it against permission.

• Like Like x 2
  17. BarkBark
    Breezy

BarkBark Cog Crusher

85%
    i think the only loophole is there could be kids like i was, who created accounts without their parents knowledge. like, my neopets, runescape, and world of warcraft account all had me over the age of 21 when i was 10 years old. but you can't really blame the devs for that.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Beeee

60%
    Yeah if they are that willing to go around their parents then they obviously aren't afraid to be exposed to that and that responsibility should then be left upon the parents.

• Like Like x 3
  19. King T
    Daring

King T Elite Toon TTR Beta Tester

100%
    they're not going to get sued for something like that

zero chance

moving on, I do agree that the game's chat system needs an overhauled, namely it needs to switch over from a whitelist system to a blacklist system

• Like Like x 1
  20. BarkBark
    Breezy

BarkBark Cog Crusher

85%
    what do you mean by switching from a whitelist to a blacklist?