1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So how do you do it

Discussion in 'Panda3D' started by Cooper11, Feb 18, 2014.

1. Cooper11
    Amused

Cooper11 Gag Trainer

35%
    This I guess would be more of a question for the current developers :) I've been poking around in Python and Panda3D for a while now and it's proven to be pretty time-consuming. I've got a basic understanding of how the models and animations work but there's something that stumps me.

How were you guys able to make this much progress in such a short amount of time?

There aren't really any good level editors out there (that I've seen) and a lot of the work seems to be as I said before, tedious and time-consuming. Is there something you were able to find in the phase files that sped up the process? I'm just dying to know haha.

Hoping to get some sort of idea how you do what you do. As always, great work guys!

• Like Like x 1
  2. jjkoletar

jjkoletar Gag Trainer

25%
    Mainly Shockley.

3. sweet
    Cool

sweet Administrator Cast Member Administrator Toontown Rewritten Staff TTR Beta Tester TTR Alpha Tester

100%
    I know very little of Panda, Python or C, but I don't think the devs actually needed to use any type of level/model editing. All the models, (outside of the new election related ones), were already done and in the phase files. My understanding of all this, is that the devs only needed to write the server code to call out those models from the client. The 'attachment' of one model to the next is somewhat pretty straight forward I believe.

I've also been messing around with Panda a lot myself lately. Mainly in the modelling area and the internal workings of the egg files. I've been breaking apart some of the toon models so I can get a better understanding of how they were made, how they are hooked together, the naming conventions Disney used and also with the animating of them. It's actually pretty interesting. Currently, I am re-rigging a toon model (as most all of it is lost converting the bams to eggs), then I am going to attempt to make some animation files from the re-rigged model. (I've already successfully rigged a test model and was able to make some animation eggs from it that worked when I called both files in a pview session)

~Sweet~

4. tasha
    Energetic

tasha Cog Crusher TTR Beta Tester

60%
    I know nothing about this stuff, but they've done great work so far.

5. graywolf69
    Breezy

graywolf69 Gag Trainer

60%
    Disney let them piece together existing game code, I doubt they had to design too much themselves

-Gray