1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The new playground contest

Discussion in 'Contests & Forum Awards' started by Justinbk, Jun 28, 2016.

1. Justinbk
    Doh

Justinbk Forum Moderator Cast Member Forum Moderator TTR Beta Tester

100%
    We're all pretty sick and tired of seeing and going to the same 6 main playgrounds on our journey through the world of toontown. What I want to know if you were to make a completely new playground what would it be?

The playground must be creative as well as fit well in with the other 6 playgrounds (to stand out too much).

Contestants will make a post below that you're joining the contest and PM (private message) your full contest entry to me (this to try to get as much creativity as possible).

In your post you can do whatever you want. Describe the playground, streets, health pickups, drawings of things in the playground, colors, music, whatever best gets your idea across.

You will be graded on originality, detail, and how well it would fit into TTR. Most likely I will judge this alone, but I will try to get some cast members to help :p .

You have until July 8th 11:59PM to get all entries in. They will then be judged and the winner will be chosen.

The reward as of now is:
    1st: Three fourths of my jbs
    2nd: Quarter of my jbs
    (I'm a bit poor right now but perhaps some can help raise the prize pool)

All entries win or loss will be posted after judging.

If you have any questions post here, and remember don't post your entry here! Just post here if you want to enter and PM it when you're ready.

Good luck!

Last edited: Jun 28, 2016
  2. Duck Tape
    Thinking

Duck Tape Elite Toon
    KTTA ATTA Supporter TTR Beta Tester

100%
    might want to fix that typo in the title

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Justinbk
    Doh

100%
    Sorry if I wasn't clear enough but I just wanted to know if you were joining or not, please DONT post your entry here, just if want to enter and PM me your entries :) . This is so people can't get influenced by other's ideas.

• Useful Useful x 2
  4. Mighty Crash
    Stressed

Mighty Crash Strongest Toon in Town TTR Beta Tester

100%
    Thank lord you told me now :eek:

5. Yus I'll enter

6. Cinnabunny
    Angelic

Cinnabunny Gag Trainer ATTA Supporter

35%
    Sure, I'll give it a shot. :)

7. Vaccinium Solecism
    Question

Vaccinium Solecism Gag Trainer

85%
    boop

I'll see if I can get something done

8. Adaline O'Rhyme
    Artistic

Adaline O'Rhyme Elite Toon TTR Beta Tester

100%
    I'll enter this :)

9. Mighty Crash
    Stressed

100%
    Can't wait to hear the results :p

10. Justinbk
    Doh

100%
    The results will take awhile because I'm going to be busy :( . Thanks to all who made entries :) !

Edit: Sorry for the delay on judging I will have it done by the end of the month at the latest!

Last edited: Jul 17, 2016
  11. Loveless
    Chatty

Loveless Something in you lit up heaven in me KTTA ATTA Supporter TTR Beta Tester

100%

• Like Like x 1
  12. Dr. Jackal
    Cynical

Dr. Jackal Gag Trainer

10%
    I'll Enter!
    (Even though the contest is over because I only just found the link to it this morning and wasn't a member back when the contest was actually running).

Better late than never, right?! :)

• Like Like x 1
  13. Mighty Crash
    Stressed

100%
    Hello Darkness my Old Friend....

14. Loveless
    Chatty

Loveless Something in you lit up heaven in me KTTA ATTA Supporter TTR Beta Tester

100%

15. Vaccinium Solecism
    Question

Vaccinium Solecism Gag Trainer

85%
  16. Justinbk
    Doh

100%
    Good news and bad news

Bad news: Still not done judging yet
    Good news: Professor Brainiac will be helping me judge. We started judging. And because it's later the prize pool is higher.

I'm sorry for not judging sooner. When we are done, I will post results that will also include the entries for everyone to see. Thank you for being so patient :) .

• Like Like x 4
  17. Justinbk
    Doh

100%
    Thus, 10 days later there are results.

Sadly I'm going away for awhile and we still didn't grade 1 entry yet. I decided to release the current results because you guys deserve it for being so patient.
    So these results are not final.

The entries were graded in 3 categories:
    1) Originality x/20
    2) Detail x/20
    3) Theme fit x/10

Both Professor Brainiac and I graded the entries in each each category, then the average of our grades is the final score.
    Lets begin:
    Dr. Jackal's entry: Toon Noir

This idea popped into my head after seeing "The new playground contest" thread a moment ago. So what if it's a month late! :D

Toon Noir
    sepia colored textures on buildings, trees, ground, sky, trolley, etc. Toony film noir detective sounding playground music. Maybe have the clothing store offer film noir style clothing.
    *shrug*

Characters actually remain technicolor which will really make them stand out.

Justinbk:
    Originality: 16/20 - I really like the idea of a toon noir themed park. Toons in technicolor would be pretty cool. I can even imagine it having some really good detective plot lines for the tasks.
    Detail: 9/20 - You gave us an idea of what the tone of everything but nothing truly specific. What noir song would be playing? I have a hard time seeing exactly what the playground would look like.
    Theme Fit: 6/10 - Noir isn't exactly a very "toony" theme, However, this idea isn't too out there to be in the game.

Professorbrainiac:
    Originality: 15/20 - I think a noir theme would definitely be a good playground. A sepia/dark tone throughout the park would make cogs seem a lot more mysterious, which might be interesting.
    Detail: 6/20 - There were little to no details about the playground. There were minor suggestions, but nothing to paint the picture. What cogs roam there? What to you get for laff boosts? Who's the mascot? etc.
    Theme Fit: 5/10 - Again, Noir doesn't seem toony. If there were toony things going on with Noir then maybe.

Side note: this sounds like a texture pack
    Averages:
    Originality: 15.5
    Detail: 7.5
    Theme fit: 5.5
    Total: 28.5

Vaccinium Solecism's entry: Old time plaza

Oooh geez I finally got around to finishing thisss woooo sorry if it looks sloppy in places

Hope I did it correctly ;v; I wish luck to the other contestants~

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Justinbk:
    Originality: 17/20 - I really like the theme of an old-toon style. Even the street names being based on older comedy. My only real complaint is that the playground itself is just kind of a plain field like TTC.
    Detail: 20/20 - You included everything that would be needed in a playground and more. Showed the faces for every animal type, even explaining the difference between the street and playground music which no other playground has. Street names and what types of cogs would be there, what it would look like, all very nice.
    Theme Fit: 8/10 - Overall I think this park would be very charming in TT compared to the others. However, the goat is kind of out of place and another low level zone with cogs 2-6 is not needed.

Professorbrainiac:
    Originality: 15/20 - An old town theme would be wonderful. A throwback playground would be really cool.
    Detail: 20/20 - The visuals helped a lot. By giving us pictures of the different aspects of the playground, we pieced together the area with great detail. You even detailed the streets, which is something the other entries haven't touched on as much.
    Theme Fit: 7/10 - This is definitely a good idea, but it doesn't have a mascot like the other playgrounds do. Also, I feel like this is more of a texture pack idea as well.

Averages:
    Originality: 16
    Detail: 20
    Theme fit: 7.5
    Total: 43.5

Cinnabunny's entry: Clarabelle's Countryside
    I think an interesting idea for a playground would be a relaxed, country-side type of place.

Clarabelle's Countryside.

The idea would be that it's a nice, open space (sort of like Chip n' Dale's). The HQ would look like a small barn-house, the tones would be very country-like with deep red, spring green, soft yellow, and other natural, warm tones. There would be lots of space to roam around in the playground, and the toonup-icons could be horseshoes or little cartoon suns.

The streets could be something along the lines of... Suburb Street, City Lane, and Back-road Boulevard. That way each street can have a bit of a uniqueness to it. For example, Suburb Street could be like a small town, where the streets aren't as dense as City Lane, but denser than Back-road Boulevard. The amount of cogs would also match the street name. The Back-roads wouldn't have very busy cogs, so I would like Sellbots and Cashbots; City Lane would hold the top-rank cogs that are always on the move, like Bossbots and Lawbots; and Suburb Street would be an even mix of them all.

To me, that would add a chance to incorporate cow, sheep, goat, horse, and pig toons in a nice, appropriate manner, since I know not many people play those types of toons (ESPECIALLY cow, sheep, and goat toons, seeing as they haven't been invented yet)! :p

They could also have more relaxed toontasks, consisting of various mini-games, fishing, and other new, fun tasks that make this a unique playground. It would also be a nice break from the usual grind in ToonTown, allowing maxed toons to slow down and enjoy the game for its silliness, creativity, and fun, while giving them rewards for doing just that!

[This next part was added a little bit later]

And yeah. It adds a sort of end-game kind of setting. As an end-game setting, I feel like it should be for toons that are maxed. Those toons that have spent time getting all there is to get. Kind of like a reward! And to make it an exclusive place, there could be a toontask for the teleport access - it won't be on the map.

Then, ToonTown would have a spot like most other MMORPGs that rewards people for doing all there is to do in the game. :)

Justinbk:
    Originality: 19/20 - A late game area to just hang out sounds fantastic! I like how you want to incorporate the lesser used animals into it! The streets having different variations of cogs based on the street type is also a very interesting idea. Although the playground barnyard theme isn't the most exciting idea, the gameplay ideas more than make up for it.
    Detail: 17/20 - You gave us a fair idea of how the playground would look like. You described the streets, HQ, pick-ups, etc. What I'm wondering is what fun activities or tasks would you be doing? What would they give you?
    Theme Fit: 10/10 - This fits the TT theme perfectly. A character with their own place and a good late-game area which would fit well in game.

Professorbrainiac:
    Originality: 19/20 - I really like the idea of a place for max toons to hang out. This would be a great reward playground, but make sure it's really worth getting to. Clarabelle's Countryside pretty unique, however it sounds a little similar to Funny Farm.
    Detail: 18/20 - You explained the color tones, the streets, as well as activities that the playground has, which is good. Pictures would have helped a little too.
    Theme Fit: 10/10 - [Professor didn't know that Clarabelle was a Disney character before I told him. It was initially a 9/10 but afterwards a 10/10]

Averages:

Originality: 19
    Detail: 17.5
    Theme fit: 10
    Total: 46.5

Kmancool3315's Entry: Dwarfs Quarry
    (If you can't tell by the name the mascots would be the seven dwarfs from snow white)
    Now a little background, Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs was the first ever full motion picture ever produced by Walt Disney. So it would only make sense to include one of his first cinema masterpieces.

Now for the actual playground it would appear like a mining town as such you would see during the American California Gold rush. Very rustic like. With a cliffside on all sides
    And for music I would recommend something along the lines of "Coal Miner's Daughter - Loretta Lynn" I feel like the instrumental piece really represents what the town's atmosphere would be like
    The mailboxes would be a railway mail pole (where mail was put on top of this hook and as a train drove by they would pick up the sack of mail and transport it cross country)
    Waste bins could just be barrels
    and lighting could be a hook with an oil lamp on it.
    The streets would be named the following
    Pickaxe Parkway, Sellbot 90% Cashbot 10%
    Lantern Lane, Bossbot 55% Sellbot 15% Cashbot 15% Lawbot 15%
    Bedrock Boulevard Lawbot 75% Bossbot 25%
    and the tunnels will look like the opening to a mineshaft
    Laff trophies of course would be rubies restoring 15 laff

The fisherman of the area would be
    Fisherman Dusty, Playground
    Fisherman Slick, Pickaxe Parkway
    Fisherman Rusty, Lantern Lane
    Fisherman Fossil, Bedrock Boulevard

The lake in the playground will be at the bottom of a waterfall with a sign at the bottom saying gold panning.

Toon HQ would have a stone look to it with a few jems and metals inside with a miner's helmet on top

A brief introduction to toontasks would include
    Tad Turncoat will give you 20 tasks for retrieving a suit into the executive office
    5 tasks for laff (rewarding +10 laff in total)
    XL Backpack for 100 gags
    Carry 300 beans
    Teleport access
    Gracie Gumshoe will introduce the player to whatever cog facility the executive office will do by trying to search for "A Golden Golf Club" from the executive office's merit facility (25% chance of getting)
    Give Scrimpy Seth (If you have trap) A TNT, (If trapless) A Grand Piano. Make sure you're training ;)
    [Later on Kman posted what the entrance is supposed to look like after the link didn't work]
    [​IMG]

Justinbk:
    Originality: 19/20 - You did something no one else did: you based your playground on an actual Disney film which I appreciate. You also had some nice ideas on what the tasks would be there.
    Detail: 20/20 - You gave us everything. To the street names, to the tasks, to the song, there's nothing more to ask from in this category.
    Theme Fit: 10/10 - You used an old Disney character(s) and made a playground of it that fits their theme. You also included many late game tasks another boss.

Professorbrainiac:
    Originality: 20/20 - I like the idea of a dwarf's mining area
    It has not been mentioned before and I like how you stick with the theme of the dwarves but still switch it up
    Detail: 20/20 - You explained in great detail what the park would look like as well as some exclusive tasks. Very good. I also like how you gave an example of what the music would sound like
    Theme Fit: 9.5/10 - You kept the style consistent with the other playgrounds, and you even have a mascot as well. The only thing is that the dwarves are not a part of the "Mickey Mouse & Friends" group. However, this does not mean it's a bad entry. This is a WONDERFUL entry.

Averages:
    Originality: 19.5
    Detail: 20
    Theme fit: 9.75
    Total: 49.25

Thank you all for being so patient, when I get back I will post the last entry and give out the prizes.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2016
    • Like Like x 4