1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What programs do you use to paint? (Computer and tablet)

Discussion in 'Fan Made Art' started by Super Romeo, Aug 6, 2015.

1. I am really curious because I want to start drawing again, but not on paper. Do you use or recommend any programs for me?

2. Marcel

Marcel Guest

I use Photoshop CS6 mainly, but I'm starting to use Clip Studio Paint. :p

3. Mae Borowski
    Blah

Mae Borowski Cog Crusher TTR Beta Tester

85%
    I personally use Adobe Photoshop Elements 12. For me Photoshop elements is more of a program where you scan a paper and pencil drawing and then make the lineart over the sketch, then to color/shade it in. So if you do pencil/paper sketches its useful. But if you want to do strictly digital art, I'd draw Paint Tool SAI or Sumo Paint.

4. Mellissa

Mellissa Gag Trainer

60%
    If you want something effective but not as expensive as photoshop/free then here are the programs I'm familiar with:
    If you want my personal favorite then that'd be Paint Tool Sai, I use it for all of my art (that includes my avatar) and it costs somewhere around 70$ if the price hasn't changed.

Pros:
    • Clean and simple, not as cluttered as most digital art programs and it's easy to learn.
    • Exceptionally fast and smooth, faster than Photoshop regardless of canvas size. This is great if you intend to use a mouse like I do.
    • Alpha and mask layers for transparent art and keeping color within the lines or whatever else you might need a mask for.
    • Vector lineart layer (phenomenal for graphic art and smooth lineart in general, but it takes some getting used to.)
    • Modifiable keyboard shortcuts.
    • Canvas rotate. I don't mean you can rotate the actual picture horizontal or vertical, even Paint can do this, I mean that you can tilt it to draw at a different angle and save your poor wrist some strain. This is basically the equivalent of rotating your paper in the real world.
    • Custom brushes and textures! Yay!

Cons:
    • Limited file formats, this is pretty important if you intend to get into graphics however you can take your work into another program to save as the format you want. Sai has the basics such as jpg/jpeg, png, targa, bitmap, photoshop, etc.
    • Not many filters or brushes, the few filters that are implemented are also rather limited. Paint Tool Sai is a lot closer to traditional, so you won't have "warp" tools or many options for fixing your colors and contrast. It's very manual. This is good in my opinion, not so good in many other people's opinions.
    • It's not Photoshop. I don't mean Photoshop is better, because it certainly isn't in my opinion, I just mean it's more obscure and less 'professional'. You probably won't be seeing frequent updates, it's slightly outdated (it's 32bit not 64bit, but it runs on both) and Sai IS NOT ORIGINALLY ENGLISH so you may run into translation errors as well as a difficult time transferring the program from one computer to the next if you don't keep all of your information. (If you do need help with this just message me.)
    • There are lots of people trying to give it to you "for free." Sai is not free. Don't download any versions of it that claim to be free, those things are packed with viruses. This is true for pretty much ANY program, even the ones that are originally free, always stick to the official website.

• Creative Creative x 2
  5. Liffinina Dark Alley
    Sweettooth

Liffinina Dark Alley Cog Crusher TTR Beta Tester

60%
    I use Paint Tool Sai as well as a Bamboo Tablet. The post above explains perfectly why it's one of the best programs to use, involving art.

6. TheTabKey
    Devilish

TheTabKey Elite Toon ATTA Supporter TTR Beta Tester

100%
    GIMP is decent enough, I use it most of all, but it's really not very user-friendly.

If you learn how to use it it can be nice, but it's a pain to learn compared to most other programs.

7. Vinylla
    Tired

Vinylla Meme
    Cast Member KTTA

100%
    Paint tool sai, and a wacom bamboo tablet.
    I like it for the simplicity and tools such as the stabilizer and canvas rotate are amazing.
    There's also clipping tools, and preserve opacity which makes colouring/shading much less painful.
    It's also very easy to create your own custom brushes.

Other than Paint tool sai, you could try Photoshop CC, which I used to use.
    It's okay, not as simple/user friendly as Sai, but better than most other programs.
    You would also have to download custom brushes, which isn't fun.

8. Panther
    Lurking

Panther Gag Trainer TTR Beta Tester

35%
    Like some others, I use Paint Tool SAI as well as a Wacom Bamboo tablet.

If you're looking to purchase these, than I'll give you a few tips.

SAI actually costed around $50 for me, and you should purchase the program from their official site. You can download a trial version from various online sources. They have an English option for both the site and the program and I haven't encountered any translation problems for the whole 11 months that I've had it. I recommend it if you're looking for a good quality program that isn't complicated and if you're willing to spend money. I personally haven't used a free drawing program that produced good results (unless of course, you're a modern-day DaVinci and can make art out of anything). I don't recommend it if you're planning to use it in a profession.

Wacom Bamboo tablets are on the cheaper end of the many drawing tablets out there, but still costly. I use the Wacom Bamboo Intuos Pro ($250-$500), which is great for people already experienced in digital painting and rookie art professionals. There's the Intuos Pen/Pen&Touch which are perfect for beginners in digital painting and are relatively cheap for their abilites ($100-$200). Lastly, there is the Wacom Cintiqs which are aimed at skilled professionals and will break your piggy bank ($800-$2,800). Most of them come in the following sizes:

Small - Good for people who don't plan on using their tablets often and an alternative to a mouse. Fit for chromebook/macbook/small laptops/etc.
    Medium (I own this, recommend this size) - Good for people who plan to use their tablets for drawing purposes and fit for a desktop around the size of a Apple Mac. The space in which you can draw is actually smaller than computer paper and around the size of a horizontal paperback book.
    Large - For professionals, large desktops, and people who feel more comfortable with a larger drawing space.

Again, these products are on the cheaper end of paid, high-quality digital art accessories so I do recommend these brands.

• Useful Useful x 2
  9. Kiwi
    Grumpy

Kiwi Gag Trainer KTTA

35%
    I use MS Paint, ArtRage3, and Paint Tool SAI.

I also have a medium size Wacom Intuos Pen and Touch tablet.

10. RockabillyDoll
    Lurking

RockabillyDoll Cog Crusher ATTA Supporter

10%
    Photoshop CS4 is my favorite to use. If I do drawings I just scan them in and go over them to make them stand out more.

11. Rainby
    Artistic

Rainby Gag Trainer

35%
    Krita is a free drawing software that's pretty rad once you get used to it. I recommend to use a drawing tablet though xd

12. Mighty Crash
    Bored

Mighty Crash Elite Toon TTR Beta Tester

100%
    I personally use Krita 64x for just drawing
    and I use pencil for my animations.

13. Beary Funny
    Fine

Beary Funny Cog Crusher TTR Beta Tester

85%
    I use Paint Tool SAI for my sketching and lined drawings. For graphics, animating and lineless work I use Photoshop CS6. I also use a Wacome Intuos Pro Medium tablet.

14. zhiliao

zhiliao New Toon ATTA Supporter

Krita : it's designed towards drawing and pretty good.

GIMP : it's a set of user created brushes, textures and tool presets for GIMP, aimed at digital artists. There's also MyPaint.

The other app I've always liked is ArtRage, which I've used with my wacom intuos pro medium and XP-Pen Artist 12 Pro Art Tablet with screen .

15. A_Purple_Wildcat
    Tired

A_Purple_Wildcat New Toon ATTA Supporter TTR Beta Tester

I use Medibang paint pro on a surface pro tablet! It's how I drew my icon.

16. Aero
    Mellow

Aero New Toon

40%
    Sai 2 and Photoshop. I use a an XP-Pen Deco 01 tablet. Way better than the outdated Wacom I had and it was only 40-50 dollars when I bought it. It's fairly big too. I think it's a great tablet to start off with.