1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

IRC: Accessing #TTSocial and #TTRServices

Discussion in 'Site Info & Guides' started by Awkward Pineapple, Jan 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Awkward Pineapple
    Energetic

Awkward Pineapple Cog Crusher TTR Beta Tester TTR Alpha Tester

10%
    This is a more informative version of a post found on another website by PwnerJohn. I have added some information, but I do not take credit for this.
    For those of you wondering how to use IRC or want to look up commands, here is an easy way to find out.
    IRC Clients To Use:
    Internet Based IRCs:
    GameSurge Irc (Web Based): Go to Gamesurge.com/client and enter a username. Then type in your desired irc (see below)

Downloadable IRCs:
    IRCs To Know:
    #ToonTownRewritten - TTR's official IRC
    #TTRsupport - TTR's Support IRC. Come here if you have a problem with TTR.
    #TTRForums - TTR Forums' Official IRC!
    #Toonter - Toonter's Official IRC.
    #TTsocial - Toonter and TTRForum's new IRC!

#TTRTesting - TTr's Alpha Tester IRC. A password is needed to acess this forum. Ask a developer for more info. Do not attempt to acess this IRC if you are not a tester.
    Code:
    To enter a password on an IRC, enter

/join #forum password
    Example:
    /join #toonland its_toony

For automated access into the TTR Alpha channel, you must first register. There are two methods you can use to register for GameSurge. Website Registration or by doing:
    Code:
    /authserv REGISTER username password email
    Note: Your username and password do not need to be the same as your Toontown Rewritten's! I recommend you keep both passwords separate in case you mess up your authentication and leave your password hanging in the channel (ouch!)

Once you have registered through one of those methods, you will receive a validation email in which you must enter something of the sort:
    Code:
    /authserv COOKIE sOM3C00KiE
    Do that, and you will be all set.

Authentication:
    Authentication to GameSurge IRC is simple, as you just need to type in the following:
    Code:
    /authserv AUTH username password
    Note: You must do this every time you connect to GameSurge IRC- if you stay connected, you will not have to repeat this process.

Getting into the Testing Channel (and voice)
    To get access into the testing channel, you must message one of the operators (noted by an @ prefix their name) in our main channel after you have authenticated. If you do not know who to message, you can Joey19982 or other TTR devs like Harv, Shockley, and Slate as their names rarely change. We will verify that you do have an account, and we will invite you in to the testing channel. To join the channel, you must type
    Code:
    /join #ttrtesting
    Once you are in the testing channel, you might want to do the following:
    Code:
    /chanserv #ttrtesting uset autoinvite on 
    This will ensure an auto invite into the channel when you authenticate (see why registering is so great?!)

Other Helpful / Fun stuff

Some of you may want to hide your hostmask, which would hide you from people finding out your I.P. address. Instead of *!*@your.ip.here.com, it would be *!*@username.user.gamesurge. To do this, all you need to type is:
    Code:
    /umode +x
    To make this automatic, you may type this command in (assuming you are authenticated)-
    Code:
    /authserv set autofake 1
    Frequently Asked Questions / Troubleshooting
    Q: Why can't I join in the testing channel? It says I need a correct key or something of the sort.
    A: You may have left the channel without having someone invite you. If you are authenticated, you can just do
    Code:
    /chanserv #ttrtesting INVITE
    and you will be able to join without problems. However if you are not, you may need to talk to one of the operators to let you in.

Q: It says that my hostmask is not valid! What does it mean?
    Code:
    -AuthServ- Your hostmask is not valid for account yourgsaccount. Please use the authcookie command to grant yourself access. (/msg AuthServ authcookie yourgsaccount )

A: You may have connected from another computer or internet connection. Maybe your connection is just dynamic. In any case, you need to verify your ownership of the account. Follow the instructions given to you in the notice, and you should be fine. /authserv authcookie username, check your email for the /authserv cookie command, and you should be able to authenticate once more.

Q: Oh no! I have lost my password! How can I authenticate now?
    A: No fear, there are ways to deal with this as well.
    Code:
    /authserv RESETPASS username newpassword
    Then check your email for more steps on how to continue to account restoration process. If you cannot access the email, or did not get one. Please read on.

Q: Oh dear, I may have given out my password somewhere? What can I do?
    A: You must change your password immediately, using the following:
    Code:
    /authserv PASS oldpass newpass
    You will change your password and you should be fine.

Q: I cannot access my email and I have lost my password!
    A: You must /join #support to let the IRC agents help you with this issue, as something like this needs to be resolved by agents. Once you join the channel, please be patient until someone helps you. It may take a while.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2014
    • Useful Useful x 5
  2. Enter
    Busy

Enter Moderation Manager
    Cast Member Moderation Manager ATTA Supporter TTR Beta Tester

100%
    Thanks for this post, a very helpful guide :D

• Like Like x 2
  3. Awkward Pineapple
    Energetic

10%
    Thanks Echo :D

4. Moonshake
    Question

Moonshake Cog Crusher

60%
    I don't IRC much, but this is very good. +1 useful :D

• Like Like x 1
  5. Awkward Pineapple
    Energetic

10%
    If anyone has any commands they think I should add, post it in the comments and what it does :D I might add a section on making ur own irc but I don't know many irc commands

6. ElizaKay92
    Amused

ElizaKay92 Hall of Fame Hall of Fame TTR Beta Tester

100%
    Wow! Nice! Thanks for posting this!

• Like Like x 1
  7. Toon Player
    Amused

Toon Player Cog Crusher

10%
    Thanks for the helpful guide! I have an idea for another command you could post. I was on the IRC yesterday for TTRF and I noticed people were using funny commands that showed up in the chat like "[User] slapped [Another User] with a very large trout" and some others. I was wondering if you knew that command since I don't. :D

8. Awkward Pineapple
    Energetic

10%
    If u click on their name it shows up on kiwi irc. But u could also do the following for this and other commands: /me action user (ex: /me pies Toonplayer)

• Useful Useful x 2
  9. Toon Player
    Amused

Toon Player Cog Crusher

10%
    Ty, that's all I needed to know. :p

• Like Like x 1
  10. Cozette
    Angelic

Cozette Cog Crusher

60%
    thankz for the guide!

11. Awkward Pineapple
    Energetic

10%
    I'll add it later in the Q and A section.
    --- Double Post Merged, Jan 20, 2014, Original Post Date: Jan 20, 2014 ---
    Np :D

12. cb90642

cb90642 Gag Trainer

25%
    Wish I could get an alpha code as I have knowledge in programming and gaming development

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

13. Pepperwig
    Amazed

Pepperwig Gag Trainer TTR Beta Tester

35%
    Awkward Pineapple ..Thank you so much

• Like Like x 1
  14. Awkward Pineapple
    Energetic

10%
    No problem! Btw, the ttr forums and toonter irc merged and are now #ttsocial (just in case u tried to go on it)

• Like Like x 1
  15. tasha
    Energetic

tasha Cog Crusher

60%
  16. Awkward Pineapple
    Energetic

10%
    No problem :)

17. Peppy Wackyburger

Peppy Wackyburger Hall of Fame Hall of Fame TTR Beta Tester

40%
    Purpose Of This Guide
    Because of some security threats involving trolls, the #TTSocial and #TTRServices channels are requiring users without rdns(users whose IPs are simply numbers) to register with IRC, as well as hide your IP. If you are not registered and/or if your IP is not hidden, you will be kicked from these channels. Short term bans will also result if you try to join too many times without being authed to a registered account with your IP hidden. If you fall into the category of being affected by this policy, you may be confused as to how to access these channels. This guide is designed to help users register and hide their IP so that they are able to access these channels.

Registering with GameSurge

The first step in accessing these channels is registering with the GameSurge network. GameSurge registration is separate from Toontown Rewritten or TTRForums registration, and applies to all channels on the network, including #TTSocial and #TTRServices. There are two ways to register. Neither of these ways is better or more effective than the other, and deciding which to use is simply a matter of preference. The end result for each method is the same. One method requires you to register while actually connected to IRC, while the other method is done on the external GameSurge website.

Registering Within IRC

The first method of registration involves registering while connected to IRC, by using the following command:

/authserv register account password email

Please fill in this command by replacing account, password, and e-mail with the information below.

Account: The name you would like to register with on IRC. This does not need to be your current nick, nor does it need to be your Toontown Rewritten or TTRForums.com info.

Password: The password you would like to assign to your account.

E-mail: Your e-mail.

PLEASE NOTE: This command should be typed in the GameSurge tab of IRC, so that information is not accidentally leaked.

After you have typed the registration command, you will receive an e-mail from GameSurge, titled "GameSurge Account Registration". This e-mail will provide you with a verification cookie that must be pasted into IRC. Once you have pasted the verification cookie into IRC, your account is registered and you are good to go!

Registering Via GameSurge.net

For those who would rather use a registration rather than internal IRC commands, registering via the GameSurge website is the way to go. This can be done by clicking here. Unlike the internal registration method, if you register via the GameSurge website, you do not have the opportunity to initially choose your password. Instead, you will be emailed a password.

Authing To Your Account

Once you are registered, it is time to auth(login) to your account. To do so, type the following command:

/authserv auth youraccount yourpassword

NOTE: Again, it is best to type this command in the GameSurge tab, so that information is not leaked.

Changing Your Password

Especially if you registered via the GameSurge website and were thus given a randomly made password, there may come a time where you want to change your password. To do so, type the following command, where oldpass is your current password, and newpass is the password you would like to change to:

/authserv pass oldpass newpass

Hiding Your IP

The next step in accessing the #TTSocial and #TTRServices channels is hiding your IP. To do so, please type the following command:

/umode +x

The purpose of this command is to hide your IP for the current IRC session. However, this is not something that needs to be typed each time! To ensure that your IP is automatically hidden every time you auth to GameSurge, please type the following command:

/authserv set autofake 1

Joining #TTRServices and #TTSocial

Some people are under the impression that the only way to join channels on IRC is to refresh the KiwiIRC page. However, this is not the case. In fact, if you refresh the page and simply join the channels again, you will be kicked. It is required that you auth each time before joining the channels. Once you have authed, you can rejoin the channels. To join a channel, please type the following command:

/join #TTSocial (or #TTRServices)

Conclusion

If you have properly followed this guide, you should now be able to access the #TTSocial and #TTRServices channels, and should be able to chat as normal. Remember,
    you must auth to your account each time you want to join these channels. Once you have done so, you can join the channels using the /join command.

If you are still having problems joining those channels, you can join #TTSocialSupport for assistance, that channel does not require you to auth your account. A moderator in there should be able to assist you. If a moderator is not available there, message one of the Moderators here in the Forums.

Peppy/Noah

Last edited: Jan 27, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  18. Duck Tape
    Cynical

Duck Tape Elite Toon
    KTTA ATTA Supporter TTR Beta Tester

100%
    Awesome guide Peppy!

19. Peppy Wackyburger

Peppy Wackyburger Hall of Fame Hall of Fame TTR Beta Tester