1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is making reverse Ubers morally correct?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Shadow (Purple Midnight), Feb 21, 2021.

1. Shadow (Purple Midnight)

Shadow (Purple Midnight) Gag Trainer KTTA ATTA Supporter TTR Beta Tester

It’s very late at night and I’m tossing and turning in my bed writing this, so hear me out.
    Is making a reverse Uber morally right?
    First of all, you purposefully have very bad gags and are carried by people in order to get higher laff.
    You provide no use inside of battle apart from in TTC and DD, and even then your options are limited to cream pies and squirt guns.
    You make the toon only for the purpose of never using it again. I personally would never use a toon that had horrifyingly bad gags, even if it was 137 laff.
    And to top it off: your toon is somewhat of a waste of space. Because they provide no advantage in battle, even having a 60 laffer straight out of the brrgh would be better than your reverse Uber. (If it were possible)

2. Shadow (Purple Midnight)

I agree

3. Shadow (Purple Midnight)

Yes me too

4. Shadow (Purple Midnight)

Yes me too

5. Shadow (Purple Midnight)

Of course shadow

6. Sanjaya

Sanjaya spongeboy me bob TTR Beta Tester

after they've been built up to have unites/sos to help out in battles i don't care as much, but until that point all they do is pass or use their doodles. never been a fan of carrying someone myself.

@Catcat

Catcat likes this.
  7. Catcat

Catcat semis don't deserve rights TTR Beta Tester

@Sanjaya thanks for summoning me I have a very strong opinion on this

no and if you have a reverse uber I absolutely hate you.

I get that people are bored, since this game recieves 0 updates, but there's other ways to make the game more fun and constantly passing/only using sos cards/whatever isn't fun at all (for you or your team)
    I've taken reverse ubers in the past just to see what it was like, and it was a miserable experience and I'll never do it again
    you waste a group spot that an actually useful toon could have been in

it's not a challenge because you are being carried the entire time, it doesn't matter if you have sos cards, using those takes up much more time and can turn an already hour long back 9 into a two hour long one and, if they haven't gotten sick of you and left, you've inconvenienced your entire team

if you think about it, it's basically just legal trolling/greening and I think pulling this should be a bannable offense

the majority of rev ubers I've seen are also very entitled, they expect you to carry them and cry that they have sos cards and fires so they won't be entirely useless, but if you have to say "I'm not useless I promise" at all you should probably rethink what you're doing

you could not pay me to take one of these into a facility.

Lady Coconut likes this.
  8. zeloscota

zeloscota New Toon

I am completely against reverse ubers. I don't see why it would be fun, and I just don't understand the concept. I have done boss runs with reverse ubers, though, because while I am completely against that style I also tend to be one who is willing to give almost anyone a chance. I don't like singling people out when I am doing runs, I tend to just run with whoever unless I know them to be a troll or what have you. '

That being said, I don't know that I would necessarily classify it as "immoral". This is a game, after all, and while it means a lot more to a lot of us than that, at it's core it's still just a game. You have the option of not running with those toons, or if one sneaks into a boss battle you can just leave.

On a side note, on TTO I did have a toon that I only got up to squirt gun. All of my other gags were maxed. I named him Squirt, and I made him tall. He was supposed to be a punny toon. I didn't find squirt a particular useful gag in TTO and so it was sort of a rebellious toon against that gag. Since all of my other gags were maxed, though, I still felt like I was useful in the game. I also had maxed drop in case toons were to squirt, I always had the option of using drop to clean up.

9. That Soundless Horse

That Soundless Horse college student TTR Beta Tester

There's not really anything ethically to debate about this game aside from game sabotage (or as it's called greening in this game, controversial topic, but not the subject matter.) In that case, you go into is a reverse uber gameplay sabotage? Not really in my perspective. Sure, you can say it's "throwing" I guess, but most people don't run them in public, generally because nobody's going to take them, so it's a waste of time.
    Either by yourself (dual boxing, tri boxing, quad boxing, w/e you wanna call it.) or by friends primarily. Good luck trying to find random carries.
    All of this is accurate and completely correct, reverse ubers are inheritly pointless and serve no purpose other than potentially a flex (a 137 char with lvl 5 throw, squirt gun, and lvl 1s would certainly get looks.) They're basically the extreme version of semi toons, the only difference is semi toons have a purpose (and should be noted if you have sound, you are not a semi. only soundless chars should even constitute and qualify as a semi. Makes little sense to say you're a semi, trying to change the game up, if you'll still carry the one track that lets you breeze through everything in the game.) of making the game more challenging, because surprise, this game has been stale since 2008. (If we're talking vanilla TT, which is what Rewritten is going for. Other servers have created a better, more challenging base game that's more fun for people who want to try something new.)
    But to go back, I think really think ethics has anything to say in a game if you aren't committing gameplay sabotage. greening/throwing is clearly one thing that's ethically wrong, but making a toon that usually, its primary purpose is to flex? Not sure if I'd call it an ethics issue, moreso a "game is dead and has nothing going into it" issue.
    (i should probably clarify that I haven't done a public run of anything in this game since 2018, so unless there's been a recent surge of rev ubers recently this opinion is from my mindset from 2018.)

Last edited: Feb 22, 2021
  10. Gregory Mouse

Gregory Mouse Elite Toon TTR Beta Tester

Yeah I've never been a fan of these toons, but they're extremely rare to run into during runs with randoms, so it's not really that big of an issue since they're mostly confined to groups with friends, or someone octo-boxes the whole thing so it doesn't affect anyone else. I definitely want to be useful to the group as much as I can, hence why I mainly run toons with all maxed gags if they're 100+laff. It just doesn't feel worth it to me to get ostracized by people to not have all your maxed gags, no matter what good gags you have. I would personally never find a reverse uber fun to play as nor would I want to keep pressing pass for the most part.

11. Taco Kitten

Taco Kitten somethin' hinky is goin' on! TTR Beta Tester

i did a back 9 with one when i was grinding over the spring & summer. i went through the 5 stages of grief the entire hour and a half i was in there and still havent recovered agnsfgh

don't expect me to carry you through. if one's in a boarding group i will wait until that group goes before i'll do a boss. it's just a waste of a space.
    i understand on this game, people are bored and starved for new content, believe me i am too. but this is, as @/Catcat said, legal trolling. there's other ways to make a challenge like semi-ubers, traditional ubers, what-have-you.

and if you have an outrageous toon like a one-track or a reverse uber and you do want to advance them, please only go with people you know don't mind carrying you. being a burden in a public lobby isn't always cool. :<

Catcat and affiniteas like this.
  12. Fishtacollahma

Fishtacollahma Also Know as Ricky Mcroll TTR Beta Tester

You know if ur playing with friends I don’t care but in public I’m not inviting a reverse uber I’m sorry.

Catcat likes this.